donderdag 28 oktober 2010

Familiar Farmland



Three days ago I cycled accross the dutch border into the province of Groningen in the northern part of the Netherlands. Riding along the busy highway A7 made me realise that this is quite a busy country...

After a quick stop at the Faroe Islands  I arrived in Hirtshals with the Norrana Ferry from Iceland. This was great especially because my family was giving me a warm welcome at the harbour! We spend a nice long weekend at a summerhouse. Too much to tell and quite overwhelming. It was so good to see them again I totally lost my motivation for the last 1000 kilometers home.

The weather was just horrible, too much rain, a neverending headwind, some cold nights and familiar and unexciting farmland. I felt pretty lonely on these days. Wo ist die Bahnhof? This was offcourse never a real option. Are you really going to give up in the last kilometers? "Don't be such a pussy" I told myself and decided to keep going. Singing and talking in german kept  me busy!

It feels good to be back home again and I still have a lot to do right now, sorting all the pictures, cleaning the bike, clothing (and myself). I definitely need a haircut...

I really would like to thank all the nice people who helped me along the way, providing me me food, shelter, interesting conversations and so on. You're all very welcome in Holland.

7 opmerkingen:

  1. It was very inspiring to meet you along the way.
    Arrive! somehow, somewhere......
    good to know, that you arrived on "your" island.
    would love to hear your german singing.
    geertje

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. glad you're home safe! we thought about you often.
    xo
    all the best,
    Shauna, John & Deirdre

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Ja Bas, en dan vraag je je na zo een tocht af wat eigenlijk back home is natuurlijk.
    Zal weer ff wennen zijn in dit kikkerlandje.
    Groet van trouwe volger Dick

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Werd door je moeder op de hoogte gehouden, ik neem mijn petje denkbeeldig voor af. Je moeder vertelde over de gefermenteerde haai uit IJsland, man man wat stinkt dat, heb het een paar keer op een van de Discovery zenders gezien en een keer bij Wouter Klootwijk.Maar met een glas IJlandse eau de vie moet het best meevallen. Welkom thuis.
    Peter Brugge Aduard

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Welcome home! en wat een prestatie! Nice meeting you in Halifax! en lekker nu ook genieten in NL :) Groetjes Hilde

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Bas, mijn zoon Midge en mezelf Stefaan, de Belgen uit Brugge, hebben je ontmoet net voor je afvaart uit Ijsland en op de Norrona. Nu je terug thuis bent hoop ik dat je kan nagenieten van je ongelooflijk avontuur en prestatie. Het wordt aanpassen ... ben benieuwd hoe vlug je er terug op uit trekt. Vooral je rust en opgewektheid blijken een gevolg te zijn van je 'eindjefietsen'. Houden zo!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Hey Bas,we met on the ferry from Iceland to Denmark, I’m the one with the motorbike.How is it going back to “normal” and not cycling around the planet? Lots of interesting pictures in your blog. Any new projects ahead? Enjoy christmas and all the best for the new year. Karl

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen